Even with it only being November, house hunting season is already in full swing this year for Edge Hill students and from experience I know how stressful it can be deciding where you want to live which is quite understandable as you are potentially going to be living in the place you decide for a year and you want to make sure it suits all your needs! So, whether you will be a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th year student this blog should help you out when house hunting!
Private rented houses
Rented houses are houses you will rent via estate agents (which could include expensive agency fees) or through a private landlord. Location varies on your budget/needs and could be located anywhere in Ormskirk. Contracts tend to be shorter and summer retainers are mostly always required.
- You will be able to decide who you live with and having your own house will make you feel independent and like you’re having a year-long sleepover with your best friends!
- Having an actual house may feel more comfortable and homely due to the layout of having a separate kitchen and lounge etc, so no interruptions to your film night by clattering pans and the sound of the dishwasher!
- It is ultimately your home, aslong as you follow the rules stated on your contract you can then kind of do what you want without being checked on upon regularly.
- You can search for a property to suit all your needs and budget. You can find some very cheap houses if you do your research and are willing to surrender certain luxuries.
- In most cases you get what you pay for. Houses tend to be cheaper but with that comes basic furnishings and lack of added luxuries such as Sky Tv/BT sports and mini fridges in your room or even your own kitchen!
- Not all bills are included meaning this could hike up the price massively without you realising. What was a £120pp/pw room could turn into a £140pp/pw room with Electricity/ Wi-Fi bills added. This could also cause arguments between house mates if people are not paying the extra they should be paying.A lot of rented houses are shared bathrooms which takes away a lot of your
- privacy, and I mean I spent my whole life fighting for the bathroom with my siblings so why would I then want to do it with my friends, no thanks!
- Most student houses will be a lot further away from the university meaning longer walks or more money spent on transport, think of how cold it can get in the winter, do you really want to be walking longer than 15 minutes to get to your lectures?
- You will tend to only deal with one landlord who could have multiple houses so when issues arise regarding maintenance you will often have to wait a while for problems to be sorted and can not contact them through the night in case of emergencies.
Modern, Luxurious, affordable, and secure accommodation in the heart of Ormskirk with exceptional service. Mccomb have 11 private halls with over 130 rooms all within close proximity of the town centre. There is something for everyone! You can book online viewings and book your room online with NO deposits and NO agency fees!
- A room to suit everyone’s needs and budget-
- Bronze and Bronze Plus
- Gold and Gold plus (featuring your own high standard kitchenettes!)
- Single, ¾ and double beds available
- Every single room is en-suite, so no shared bathrooms (phew!) and includes a SMART TV, high fibre Wi-Fi, study space, wardrobe, bedside table, and A MINI FRIDGE!
- All Communal areas include Sky TV, BT sport, dining area/chairs, fridge/ freezer, oven/hob, dishwasher, all kitchen appliances, and cleaning items!
- Security is really high with fob entry and CCTV cameras, emergency helplines for through the night so you will always feel safe staying with Mccomb!
- Round the clock property maintenance (Special shoutout to Richie and the rest of the maintenance team who go above and beyond for all tenants and nothing is ever too much!)
- One of the best bits, all bills included! So, no sneaky extra costs, the price you see is the price you pay, plus EXCLUSIVE DISCOUNTS for Mccomb tenants to use in Ormskirk’s local business’ you will find these on Mccomb’s Instagram page (@Mccombstudents)
- The contract is for 50 weeks- perfect if you want to stay in Ormskirk for the summer and if you keep your room you will only need to move out for two weeks and are able to store your stuff in there which saves moving it out and back in!
- Situated in the heart of Ormskirk only 8-15 mins walk to Edge Hill University depending on which house you’re staying in. Bus station with the free shuttle bus to Edge hill Is also minutes’ walk away.
- Special offers for groups of 3 or more friends who book together so you can still live with whoever you want!
- Regular house competitions, pizza nights, house meetings and much more!
- You will be surrounded by other students so at times it can get loud although there are rules in place about respecting your neighbours especially when it gets late at night.
- There are no washing and drying facilities situated in the communal areas but there is a brand-new laundrette located on Moor street which already provides the machines with detergent and softener! (However, I know most of you take your washing home to your parents, ha-ha!)
- This accommodation can seem abit more expensive and may seem out of your budget, but you really do get what you pay for and the facilities provided, and bills being included make the price worth it. Living in private rented houses can seem cheap until all the added extras from bills etc get added on, then you will likely be paying more than it would cost you to live with Mccomb. It’s a no brainer for me!